CLASS™ is an academic therapy model first developed by WILDD’s co-founder and special education teacher, Ervin Carpenter, in the early 1980’s, and grew out of his own personal experiences with dyslexia and his 30 years of experience as a special education teacher.
WILDD’s method is rich in simultaneous multi-sensory techniques and phonological awareness. It successfully remediates language deficits (including helping the brain develop new neural pathways), and advances beyond traditional Orton-Gillingham instruction to secure academic independence. It begins by focusing on the structure of language and gradually moves toward reading, with each lesson building upon the preceding lesson. CLASS™ also provides immediate feedback and a predictable sequencing that integrates reading, writing, penmanship, and spelling into one logical body of knowledge.
CLASS™ includes uniquely integrated strategies to address confidence issues that are often endemic in dyslexic learners who have gone undiagnosed for a significant amount of time. CLASS™ has consistently been updated as scientific studies on the dyslexic brain advance, and new scientific information about dyslexic learners becomes available.
Aspects of the CLASS™ model are rooted in the instruction first developed by neuropsychiatrist and pathologist Samuel T. Orton and psychologist Anna Gillingham, based on their pioneering work in the 1920’s with individuals who failed to establish appropriate cerebral organization to support the association of visual words with their spoken forms.
Through individualized and customized one-on-one instruction with CLASS™ instructors, WILDD’s program teaches to mastery and develops a forever toolkit learners draw on for a lifetime of opportunities they may have otherwise thought impossible.
WILDD’s Core Strategies
- At WILDD, our goal is to help you create your personal forever toolkit, equipping you to succeed, preparing you to compete with your peers in school and in the workforce.
- Thanks to recent advances in technology, WILDD GLOBAL™ is available anywhere, anytime. WILDD GLOBAL™ online is equally effective as our on-site services by allowing both learners and instructors to interact face-to-face, in real time, with simultaneous multi-sensory instruction.
- WILDD provides personalized one-on-one learning, so you progress at your own best pace. At WILDD, we keep you at the center of your own development.
- Through this program, WILDD provides research-developed and evidence-based academic therapy that builds resiliency and successfully remediates language deficits associated with dyslexia and learning disabilities.
- The CLASS™ program (Carpenter Language Achievement and Strategies System™) teaches the brain to work differently. This program retrains the brain to use alternative paths to get the job done.
- CLASS™ was developed by co-founder and executive director, Ervin Carpenter, who went undiagnosed with dyslexia until he was 32. He then became a special education teacher for over 30 years, and developed this program out of his own personal and professional experience. It took a non-reader to figure out what non-readers need to learn to read. Erv’s passion is to see all kids be able to read and succeed, especially those as challenged as he is.
- Retraining the brain does happen, with consistent and guided attention. Depending on the starting point, results can be seen within a few months, and fuller remediation may develop over a one to three year period.
- At WILDD, we know this from experience—we see the results in our students all the time, and have seen it throughout our ten years of testing results.